I ran into a scenario recently whereby installing Web Deploy didn't create the WDeployAdmin and WDeployConfigWriter users. After attempting to uninstall/reinstall a few times, to no avail, I ended up configuring the users manually. Here's how I did it:
- Create local users WDeployAdmin and WDeployConfigWriter. Since you won't need the passwords after this process, I recommend using a complex password (like via strongpasswordgenerator.com)
- Disable password expiration on both accounts to avoid issues in a few months time
- Add WDeployAdmin to the local Administrators group
- Open %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config in explorer and grant WDeployConfigWriter write permissions to it (ignore the permission denied error on config/schema)
- Open IIS and select "Management Service Delegation", which is at the server level (not on a site)
- For each item with WDeploy* in the User Name column:
- Select the row and click "Edit" (or double click)
- Click "Set" next to "Identity"
- Re-enter whichever user was set as well as the password you generated earlier
- Click OK
Everything should be fine after that. If deploys are still failing, check out the "Web Deploy" event log.